ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AND SUSTAINABILITY EFFORTS
Albaraka Türk is aware that the activities, products and services it performs with the vision of “Being the Best Participation Bank in the World” interact with the environment and aims to minimize the effects of this interaction on climate change. Albaraka Türk, a pioneer in interest-free banking, aims to be one of the leading participants in the sector by also taking a pioneering role in its fight against climate change.
For Albaraka Türk, sustainability is an important issue supported by corporate culture and vision. In this context, Albaraka Türk carries out projects such as Green Building Project (LEED EBOM), Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and Zero Waste Project in line with sustainability goals.
1. Green Building Project:
Albaraka Türk started a study in 2016 with the aim of documenting the sustainable efforts it has carried out, in particular, those in the Headquarters building.
Within the scope of the study, carbon footprint, water and energy efficiency, environmental sensitivity of materials and resources used, internal environmental quality, innovation - regional priorities and sustainability contribution were examined in detail and our Headquarters building was awarded the Leed Green Building Certificate. With this certificate, Turkey, Albaraka Türk Headquarters Building assumed the title of Turkey's first LEED GOLD certified Bank Headquarters Building in terms of environmental sensitivity.
2. Carbon Disclosure Project
Albaraka Türk achieved a C rating in 2017 and 2018 within the scope of the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), which is considered to be the most comprehensive and prestigious environmental project in the world, aimed at collecting and sharing information that will enable companies, investors and governments to take precautions against climate change threat.
Datas provided for CDP rating is verified by RINA Certification and Shipping Ltd. Sti. Click here to reach the Albaraka Turk CDP - Climate Verification Report and Water Footprint Verification Report.
We aim to document that our Bank minimizes the destruction of natural environment as a result of the valuesit adds to urban living spaces and to ensure its recognized on international platforms and to increase its prestige.
We aim to obtain a B rating in the new valuation period as a result of the arrangements and improvements we will make in this regard.
In 2018, within the scope of Carbon Disclosure Project, detailed analyses were performed in the fields of;
- Paper Consumption Calculations
- Fuel Consumption Information
- Aircraft Utilization Mileage
- Annual Reports of our Bank
- Annual Financial Statements of our Bank
- Investor Presentations
- ABG Annual Reports
- Corporate Risk Management Reports
- Project Finance and Corporate Finance Portfolio Information (Summary of Loans for Energy and Infrastructure Projects)
- Generator Fuel Information (diesel/lt)
- Electricity Consumption (kwh) Information
- Air Conditioning Refrigerant Usage Data (Kg)
- Heating Data (Fueloil, Coal etc.)
The details of the studies conducted are as follows:
- The amount of refrigerant in the equipment used in our building is within GWP and ODP values.
- Thanks to the solar film used on the exterior of our building, air conditioners are operated less and less greenhouse gas is released.
- The energy efficiency is at the forefront in our building and the isolation of our building is above the standards.
- The operating system of the heating and cooling systems has been changed and approximately 20% energy saving has been achieved.
- The rate of fresh air supplied into the building has been kept above international level.
- The air handling units that provide fresh air are monitored through the automation system and the rate of fresh air delivered to our building is kept under control constantly.
- Smoking cigarettes is prevented at points where there is a risk of cigarette smoke entering the building.
- By using high efficiency filters in air handling units, the dirty air in the outdoor environment is cleaned from dust, dirt and toxic gases and then allowed to enter our building.
- The time settings of the lighting sensors in our offices have been rearranged and energy savings of approximately 6% has been achieved.
- The working system of the garden lighting has been changed and approximately 50% energy saving has been achieved.
- Water saving apparatuses that provide the same effect with less water have been installed in our lavatory faucets in our building and a 20% reduction in water consumption has been achieved.
- Water needs of green areas are met by drip irrigation system and sprinkler method and efficient use of water is ensured.
- The treated artesian water is used for irrigation of green areas and washbasins in our building. Thanks to the Gray Water project, it is ensured that the wastewater used in the washbasins is treated and that is reused in the reservoirs.
- Sustainable cleaning materials, cleaner, safer and healthier environmentally sensitive products are used in the cleaning of the office floors of our Headquarters building.
- The machines of different brands and models at Branch and Headquarters Building were deactivated and instead, a new photocopy system consisting of machines providing central control was installed. Unnecessary and one-way printouts were prevented thanks to the new system. In addition, the wastepaper in our Bank has been delivered to the institutions authorized by the related municipality for recycling. Within this scope, annually;
- 543 trees were prevented from being cut down.
- An energy saving of 131,000 kWh was achieved.
- 5.655 m³ of greenhouse gas is prevented from being released to the nature.
- 895 m³ of water was saved.
- 80 m³ of storage space was saved.
- Paper wastes are sent for recycling to be revalued.
- In order to prevent waste batteries from being released to the nature, the batteries are collected separately in our Headquarters building. In this context, approximately 50 kg of waste batteries are separated and delivered to TAP (Portable Battery Manufacturers), the official waste collection authority.
- Plant species with low water consumption and suitable for the climatic conditions of our region were planted in the green areas of our Headquarters building.
- Pesticides approved by the Ministry of Health General Directorate of Basic Health Services are used for sustainable cleaning of our Headquarters building and its environment.
- High efficiency lighting fixtures are used in our building. Fluorescent light bulbs used in lighting fixtures are selected from low mercury models.
- The design of our building is based on maximum utilization of daylight. It is aimed in this way to both reduce the energy used for lighting and to use the positive effects of daylight on those working in the interior spaces.
In addition to these, a separate section was allocated to our Bank in CDP Turkey 2018 Climate Change and Water Report and our scenario analysis was shared and the strong link between banking strategy and energy sector was mentioned.
Albaraka Türk's scenario analysis is based on the Sustainable Development Scenario of International Energy Agency (IEA). There is a strong link between the banking strategy and investment in the energy sector. Our Bank strongly supports its commitments to satisfy the criteria as set out by Paris Agreement.
Albaraka Türk's scenario analysis has three dimensions:
- Clean Energy for All: The Bank aims at provision of sustainable and clean energy for everyone. Hence, the process for divestment from fossil fuels by 20 percent annually between 2020 and 2025 is an essential part of the scenario.
- Innovative Investment: It is clear that new technologies will lead the way to a low carbon future. The Bank aims at financing the implementation of innovative technologies by new loan products and partnerships.
- Assisting the Paris Agreement: Turkey has committed a reduction of GHGs by 2030 by 21 percent below BaU (Business As Usual) by presenting a roadmap of new policy implementation in the area of transportation, energy and urbanization. The Bank’s strategy is taking an active role in the accomplishment of this goal. The Bank developed three scenarios and estimated the resources that can be diverted to these three aspects under three scenarios: Ambitious, Semi-ambitious and Modest.
3. Zero Waste Project
The works carried out in our Bank within the scope of Zero Waste Project launched by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization are as follows:
- Copiers have been reprogrammed to avoid unnecessary printouts that are sent to the printer and forgotten or resent to the printer, and duplex printing option has been set to default on devices.
- Wastepaper is delivered to the companies assigned by the municipalities.
- Water saving apparatuses that provide the same effect with less water by increasing the water pressure have been installed in our lavatory faucets in our Headquarters building.
- Vehicle tracking system has been installed in branch marketing vehicles and vehicle usage is monitored in detail.
- The exterior of Headquarters building has been covered with solar film. In this way, the sun rays coming into the building are prevented and the cooling systems are operated less.
- In order to prevent waste batteries from being released to the nature, the batteries are collected separately in our Headquarters building.
- The carton boxes used for the transportation of Headquarters building are used approximately 15 times and the carton boxes that have completed their economic life are delivered to the recycling facilities of the municipalities.
- Periodical maintenance works of the tools, equipment and fixtures in our Bank are carried out regularly and in this way our equipment is used for a long time.
- Artesian water and gray water are used in rest rooms, washbasins, pools and for garden irrigation and cleaning works, instead of mains water.
- Environmentally sensitive products are preferred within the scope of our purchasing activities.
- The scope of the Zero Waste Project will be expanded and efforts will continue in the coming period.
- In the light of these projects, Albaraka Türk will continue its fight against climate change by carrying out all of its activities in its Headquarters and branches.
- Within the framework of all these efforts, Albaraka Türk has spent approximately 1,000,000 TL for Environmental Management System and sustainability.